Translate

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Interview with Miriam Rieder of Taste by Spellbound – Dessert Studio



Interview with Miriam Rieder
Taste by Spellbound – Dessert Studio
Avon, CT


By Kathryn Gordon and Jessie Riley 



Kathryn:   Hi Miriam!  I met you in one of my macaron classes, but how did you get started in your business?

Miriam:  My first business venture was at 10 years of age, decorating cakes after taking a summer class at the local Parks & Recreational department in my area.  My mother enrolled me when she got divorced.  And now we bake together!


Photo:  HartfordMag.com
Jessie:  Did you always want to bake?

Miriam:  I grew up with a love of food but it didn't become a passion until a few years back. 

Kathryn:   How did you find the location for your bakery?  And how many square feet is the bakery? 



Miriam:  I found the location through a family friend.  The bakery is 1,100 square feet. I had saved up quite a bit over the past two years and was able to fund most of it.  We had to take out a small loan as well for our business financing.  I've been very blessed.

Jessie:   You’re very young; when you started the business a year ago, you were 20!  What else is it that differentiates you from other businesses? 
 
Miriam:  The quality of my food and atmosphere of the bakery. 

Kathryn:  You seem to have a pretty clear vision for a general patisserie, from your personal look (retro hairdo), vintage apron collection, business card and photos on Facebook.   The bakery evokes Alice in Wonderland.   How did you develop your vision?

Miriam:   I've loved fairy tales for quite awhile and with my baking business being named Taste by Spellbound, I was able to piggyback off my first business venture (fashion headbands), Spellbound.

Jessie: How many employees do you have?   

Miriam:  There are 2 part time employees who bake with me.  I don't even keep a running log of how much I work.  I just know it's A LOT.  I’m baking, running a business and teaching classes. 




 Jessie: How do you see the role of social media for your business?

Miriam:   It's huge.  Facebook is a major media outlet for the business. I post photos and update my fans daily with what we have in the bakery and fun pictures of all the projects we're working on.  But I also have close to 1,000 followers on Twitter as well.  [Follow Miriam @MiriamHope on Twitter].  And although Twitter is an amazing outlet I think Facebook is still “where it's at.”  You can connect and interact with customers and friends so easily.


Jessie:  Who takes your photographs?

Miriam:  I take all the photos for Facebook and Twitter; I love taking pictures of food.  

Kathryn:  What is the link to the Z100 radio station, and how often do you make an appearance?

Miriam:  I sent Elvis Duran on the Morning Show some of my truffles!  Now I've made 5-6 appearances on Elvis Duran over the past 2 years.

Jessie:  Do you see a spike in internet orders after you're on the radio?

Miriam:  Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But regardless, it refreshes people’s memory about me and the business.

Kathryn:   What advice would you give other entrepreneurs regarding self promotion?

Miriam:   Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and sell yourself. Just keep at it and the fan base will grow.




Want to Learn More About Our Expanded Services? Visit  Us At Food Start Up Help


No comments:

Post a Comment